Tuesday, February 28, 2012

18 & 19 weeks

I missed one, sorry!  The pregnancy has been rather uneventful except for the kicks several times daily (usually after meals or during symphony rehearsal lol but never when B can feel it) and the gradual but definite expansion of my belly.  I took this pic yesterday and I've had a couple of clients at work ask about it so it seems to be getting fairly obvious :) The good part is that I still haven't really gained any weight. I've gained 1 pound since my last OB appointment 3 weeks ago and at that one I had only gained 1-2 from my 8-week appointment so I really have the weight gain under control somehow.  I'm totally okay with this and rather proud of myself!  Considering the size of my middle, I must be losing weight somewhere else to make up for it.  Again, definitely okay with this.

I'm not dieting, I just can't eat much at a time because we're trying to eat dense healthy foods and my stomach doesn't have room to expand much.  It's strange... Mom and I have been reading about diet changes over the last century and the resulting obesity/diabetes/cholesterol/blood pressure epidemic compared to cultures who eat more traditional foods and are overall much healthier.  Traditional diets consist of natural animal fats (including the fat in milk, butter, cheese, etc.), organ meats, minimally refined olive oil, fish, heirloom or foraged vegetables, meat cooked with the bones, and very little grains or sugar.  Basically, substituting these natural fats with vegetable oil has caused a lot of problems... we need the natural saturated fats to digest vitamins and there's no real evidence that saturated fat is bad for you... the issue is hydrogenation damaging the chemical makeup of everything.  I could go on and on... but I noticed a year or so ago when I was eating steaks and fish for dinner most days that I felt better, my skin was clearer, and my periods were less uncomfortable.  Now we've transitioned to real butter and to 2% milk from skim and I feel great, plus my weight is staying stable so if I weren't preggo it might even be going down.  It seems contradictory but we're just not built to live on highly processed vegetable oil and corn syrup!

*steps off soapbox*  So anyway, that's going well.  B was only in the hospital for a few days, but they were unnecessarily worried about the cost of the antifungal medication and in the process of keeping him there and trying to get him financial assistance for that prescription (which would've cost $90 for a month's worth, name brand) they kept him there longer... which racked up that visit's bill to $14,000... talk about counterproductive!  What's even crazier is when we filled the prescription down here at our pharmacy, it cost $25 for 30 days.  Not kidding.  Why were they so worried about this???  Did it never occur to anyone that we'll have enough trouble paying these hospital bills?  Sigh.  Well, he doesn't have to see the surgeon again until late March but he has to go in twice a week to radiology to get the drain tube twisted around and flushed until the infection is gone.  Yesterday they changed out the tube because it was clogged up but it keeps clogging up today too and he's running a slight fever.  I hope we can get it unplugged but I'm getting a little nervous about it.   He goes back on Thursday anyway but I hope it clears up today.

I've set up an indiegogo.com campaign for us to see if we can make a dent in paying this thing so we'll see if that gets us anywhere or not.  It won't help with our living expenses until then since we won't receive the funds until the end of the campaign, but every little bit helps.  I think Mom's church is putting together a benefit for us so we'll see how that goes.  I don't know anything about it but as soon as I do I'll let everyone know.  I have a couple of applications out for full-time desk jobs so hopefully one of those will call back soon.  B got another job offer today and it's very frustrating for both of us that he can't accept any of them yet.  I didn't want to change jobs right before the baby comes, but I have to try because we just can't live on what I'm making, especially since he doesn't qualify for any aid whatsoever and our energy assistance for the year ran out already.  I'm in slight panic mode about that but I can only do what I can do. We just need him to get better and he's doing the best he can.

Monday is the big ultrasound/organ scan/gender scan!  News to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment