Wednesday, February 15, 2012

17 weeks

Thought we were kinda out of the woods for B's problems, but we're not quite there yet.  We went in yesterday for his post-op checkup, got his drain and staples out, and we were feeling pretty good about things.  They did a follow-up CT scan to make sure everything was looking alright and they found a baseball-sized abcess on his liver.  The damaged area has some dead tissue on it that could either reabsorb into the body or get infected and his got infected.  They admitted him right away and put a new drain in up where his chest tube was, which is unfortunately between 2 of his broken ribs so he's in some pain from that and very frustrated that he has to be in the hospital again.  We had a good week with him at home, as hard as it was, and he was feeling good before we went up for his appointment.  At least they caught it before it burst or went septic or anything like that, but the fact that the antibiotics he was on didn't prevent it from happening led me to believe that IV antibiotics wouldn't fix it either.  My hunch was right, they've figured out now that it's a yeast infection so they have to use different (and ridiculously expensive) meds for that and they're still not ruling out surgery in Denver.  At least they know what it is now and can start treating the right thing.  It should be a short stay, since we can handle a drain at home.  The trick will be figuring out what meds will work best for being at home or getting by infusion at the hospital down here.  I guess they're working on that today and also getting some financial aid going for us so I'll meet with the social worker when I go up after work.

As for the pregnancy, everything's still fine as far as I can tell.  I've had some nasty heartburn the last couple of evenings so that's not much fun to deal with, and apparently I ate the wrong thing for lunch today because I'm ridiculously gassy.  When B's in the hospital I eat badly, which isn't a good thing but time constraints and low appetite/energy from stress make good meals impractical. Sigh. 

Last night and today I could swear I felt some kicks!  Little flutters/pops starting at the front where I can almost feel them and moving around to the left side then back up front... that sounds like kicks, right?  I'd really like it if they were actually kicks and not just gut bubbles. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment