Thursday, February 9, 2012

16 weeks

... and B's home from the hospital!  He was in his own room for about a week, and they started steadily removing drains and tubes day by day until he was ready to go home on Monday.  It was a long day for all of us, since we got him discharged just in time to eat lunch then hurry to sit and wait for my 16 week OB appointment.  Poor guy was a trooper, he waited until we got back to the car to take his pain meds but Mom and I could tell he was hurting.

My 16 week appointment went well, but it was way shorter than my previous appointments.  All they did was check my blood pressure and weight (still holding steady, go me!), then Dr. B used the doppler to find the baby's heartbeat, and that was it.  We were honestly in the waiting room 3x longer than that.  March 5th is the big ultrasound, since they can see all of the organs at 20 weeks so the gender question gets to just wait.  The verdict from everyone at first was boy, now people are starting to change their minds and say girl... I'm not dying to know but I'm tired of telling my mom not to buy things with ruffly butts yet! B's added a couple more names to the list but I don't really want to fully discuss those until we know for sure.  I also have a feeling that Jelly Bean will name his/herself... that one day the perfect name will just come to us.

Luckily, my symptoms lately have been pretty low, which is great considering everything else I've been dealing with.  I'm tired and haven't been able to eat a whole lot yet, and occasionally I'll have a growth spurt day but it doesn't cause quite as much of a nausea problem as it did previously.  I know I need to be drinking more but it's gotten harder at work since the few crystal light flavors i can get here don't sound good anymore and plain water doesn't sound good either.  Sigh. I need to do something else there, maybe mix up a jug of something at home to drink at work instead of relying on the little single-serve packets.  I don't know, something needs to change.

The first day B was home was a tough one.  With a combination of suddenly being off some of the meds the hospital had him on, the hard day Monday, then taking his antibiotics on an empty stomach, he couldn't keep anything down on Tuesday morning until I made him a can of chicken noodle soup.  He slept a lot after that, and had to figure out how to spread out his pain meds so he wasn't crying by the time he could have more, but since then he's been getting steadily better.  He's needed a lot of long naps, but that's to be expected.  He has lots of healing to do so sleep is the best thing he can get for that.  We're trying to work in some more solid food a little bit at a time so his body has more nutritional substance to work with but his stomach has been difficult with that.  We'll get there, slowly.  He still has one drain, but it's not draining enough to measure twice a day like the doctor wants him to, so we wait until it's full enough to get close to any of the lines on the measuring cup they sent home with us.  When that's done draining, it can come out, so it's a good sign that not much is coming from there. His incision is huge but it's healing nicely.  Yesterday we put some butterfly bandages between the staples because the staples are so far apart, but it's all healing up and pulling together nicely.

Ironically, B's had 2 jobs call back about applications he submitted before the accident.  One of Mom's friends said I should apply at the pharmacy as a clerk and study up to become a tech, since they'll apparently be needing someone soon that isn't an idiot.  I'm hesitant to leave this job, but I have to do what's best for all 3 of us and not just what I want to do.  There are no aid programs B qualifies for, so all bill negotiations are between us and the hospital, and there's no income for him until he can go back to work.  Hopefully with his Medicaid denial letter they'll be more willing to work with us on a payment plan. And hopefully he'll be feeling well enough next week to at least go to the interviews that he got called for this week, and possibly start working part-time light duty at one of those places until he feels up to doing longer shifts.  It'll be a while before he's healed, but maybe he can get a few hours of training done a week until he's able to step it up.  Both places said to call back when he feels better so hopefully one of them will work out.

Slowly, we're working out the kinks.  Everything's fine with Jelly Bean as far as I can tell, so I just need to keep on keeping on and hope the decisions I make are the right ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment