Tuesday, January 17, 2012

13 Weeks

With B's help, the office is redone!  We got the closet painted, added 5 bookshelves to one side and one long shelf, moved the jewelry desk and chair in there and the instruments are on the floor, set up the computer we got from Dad, folded up one of the tables, and ended up with less furniture clutter in the living room too!  It was a very successful weekend.  Yesterday B was great about cleaning up the rest of the house too, which was wonderful since I barely got anything done yesterday.  It must've been another growth spurt day or something, I just had no motivation whatsoever and today I'm feeling a bit fragile.

One thing I did get done yesterday (aside from a little grocery run) was I worked on an egg drop soup recipe from one of Mom's old cookbooks.  Talk about fussy... just for the chicken stock! I'll try it today or tomorrow for lunch and see how it is.  I'm trying to get better about eating eggs since I get lots through WIC and there's lots of good reasons for me to eat them right now, but I'm not really a fan of eggs by themselves.  Occasionally I'll scramble one for breakfast, but it's rare that it sounds good to me.  However, I've always loved egg drop soup so if I can come up with a good recipe for it I'll eat it almost every day.  Whole fryer chickens are often on sale at my grocery store for $.99/lb, and the regular price of $1.29/lb isn't bad at all, so it's easy for me to grab a chicken and roast it for a weekend meal, save the leftover meat for other things, then boil the bones into stock.  Much better than using a seasoning packet, for an infinite number of reasons, so the trick was finding a good recipe.  The real test comes at lunch.

Today my stomach is a bit tender.  Unfortunately, I'm at work for the next 4 days so I can't lay down at the moment... really hope it doesn't persist or this week at work will be miserable.  I got my first smaller paycheck today... trying not to panic.  B's work laid off almost 30 guys (almost their whole work force) this week because the big contract got screwed up and they're accepting bids to build an additional building in order to hire more workers and get more houses built, so instead of having the 30 skilled construction workers that they already employ build the addition, they laid them all off and are hiring it out...? which makes absolutely no sense, and makes all of us furious.  B's job searching this week.  That company has been nothing but jerks/morons the whole time he's worked for them, so of course we get to worry about his income now since he's losing another work week.  Maybe he can get unemployment for this week, but we're not sure about the rules on that. Really trying not to freak out about this.

I've agreed to let Mom buy me a new Mac laptop so I can get back to writing.  It helps that I'll be doing what I'm trained to do, but it will be tricky to get any money for it anytime soon.  My instinct still is to find a way to work from home and bring in more money, but the piano tuner thing fell through since I won't be able to do any extensive residencies for the training like all the experts I can ask have recommended.  I suppose I could try to get lessons going again... and maybe stick to wind instruments and voice, require payment up front, and hold lessons at my house or Mom's instead of driving all over town.  I'll have to think on that one... the way I was doing it before definitely didn't work. 

Sigh... I have some thinking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment